1.04.2006

"Chronic Fatigue"

I was thinking about my job today, and I realized what I am uncomfortable with here. In every job that I have worked since I was sixteen, I have been selling. I don't pride myself on being a seller either, mainly because I'm not able to show great excitement and happiness. I am polite and courteous, yes, but I don't have that certain je ne sais quoi it takes to truly sell or excel in selling.

This job is the first one where I've had to use customer service, but somehow, on the same token, I am also the adversary for the customer. It's just a tight rope to walk. We are still a business, and in running a business you are forced to be polite and give great customer service. After all, it's about giving the customer what they what, when they want, and how they want it, but we can't exactly do that here. I've never had to work so hard to decipher situations. I can't really speak specifically what I am talking about, but it's almost like working with a car dealer sometimes. There is this constant feeling that you are being lied to, and do you really want to investigate the customer's story or do you just want to be done with it? Because, you are there for the customer, and you are doing your best to protect them & look out for them, but they don't always view it that way, so they can be very cunning. Just because you know this quality about them though, doesn't mean you always have the heart to fight with them. It's exhausting, but it's kind of our legal duty.

I'm aware that this post makes very little sense, but it's something I have observed. I guess it's that feeling of finally putting my finger on what I don't like about this job. This situation closely mirrors a past relationship where I dealt with serial lying. I guess I just get where I don't even care that someone is lying to me. I just want the situation to die down. The hunt is exhausting at times.

4 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

My mom is in sales right now. She loves it. But, then, she LOVES what she's selling. Perhaps that's the trick: find a product you believe in. Might be easier said than done, but I once had a friend who interviewed for a medical sales job. Her product was quick-read pap smear tests. I think I could rally behind something like that.

Know what you mean about the lying thing, tho, cuz I'm in one of those relationships now.... Ah, life.

Hey, happy 2006.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Well, I do love what I sell. That's why I worked there in the first place. I guess I'm just not a true people person. I'd rather be behind the scenes. I'm more operational, really. I prefer helping people who seek my advise...not pushing myself on them or additional product. Maybe because I know when people are doing that to me. It takes one to know one.

Happy NY to you, too.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Morgan said...

Hey, what's the secret of life?

4:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Quite a clamor for your secret, Maharishi Reno. Any words of wisdom?

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home