2.19.2004

The Big Commitment

This Sunday is the last episode of Sex and the City. Quite frankly, I think I've been spending too much thought on the end of this show and if Carrie should truly end up with Mr. Big. For some reason, how this show ends really means a lot to me, way more than the endless will-they or won't-they game the writers play with Ross & Rachel on Friends. I watched the foursome on Oprah, and I was ever so impressed with Sarah Jessica Parker. Her vocabulary included the following words: confluence, cavalier, and cacophony. I'm not sure if she's been reading the c section of the dictionary or what, but I was impressed nonetheless.

It was obvious from the show that the audience really wanted Carrie to end up with Big. I'm betting so does every other fan of the Sex and the City, that is, every one but me. There is always so much more in the wanting of things. Why would we truly want her to end up with Big? I wasn't even happy with the penultimate episode. Well, I was when Carrie finally got to express her hurt to Big and scream "You and me nothing!" I thought the scene was acted out superbly, especially when she turned to tell him that he can drive up and down her street all he wanted because she didn't live there anymore. The way she said it, the look on her face, and the cut to Big's reaction was perfect. There was that one tiny moment where she felt powerful and in control of their relationship. She wasn't waiting on him to define it. Her righteous anger and effrontery even let her tell him to never call her again and forget he knew her name. It was a beautifully scripted moment, right down to her running away in her Manolos leaving Big standing there.

What I didn't like about the show was how quickly Big reappeared. I'm accustomed to him popping in and out with somewhat dramatic flair; however, by the end of the show, thanks to Charlotte's amaranthine romantic ideals I'm sure, Big is meeting with the threesome. He admits his love for Carrie a little too easily for my taste, as well as his myriad of "fuck-ups." Asking if there is any chance left for him to make amends, Big leaves the decision up to Carrie's friends. After the camera pans their faces, Miranda, who has never, ever liked Big or thought him good enough for Carrie, speaks for the girls telling him to go after her.

Big's love has always been there. It's in small ways, but you know he absolutely adores Carrie. Part of Big's allure is the fact that he is so unobtainable and noncommittal. If you change that, you in fact, lessen the mystique. And if life teaches you anything, it will definitely show you that we covet much more than we ever need. Many times, when we get what we long for, it ends up changing the elements that we found so alluring in the first place. The luster dulls, and that gem starts looking like a cheap piece of plastic.

Oprah asked Sarah how she wanted the show to end. Did she want Carrie to end up with Big, and she said, "I want her to be content." I thought it was a good answer. The one thing the show has done brilliantly is change and shape the characters. Charlotte learned her idea of a perfect man might be a little different than the Park Avenue doctor; Samantha discovered she might just enjoy having a man around longer than a night, and Miranda realized she indeed needed someone to put her in her place.

I think the writers will follow my lead. There can be a Disney fairy tale, happily-ever after ending--it just doesn't have to entail or insinuate that it includes Big by Carrie's side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home