6.14.2006

How Have We Been Friends

I am currently sitting with my legs crossed listening the sounds of the waterfalls at the apartment complex. It's actually a really nice night with perfect weather that doesn't even possess a hint of humidty, thanks to that tropical storm in Florida. I just got off the phone with my girlfriend. She was in that excited state of drunkeness that I love so much. That state where everything is funny and your body feels so good that you just want to pass out. That's one of my most favorite states to be in. My cheeks start to ache from all the smiling, and I'm really not a smiling kind of creature, if you haven't noticed.

She was recounting her evening where a Nick Lachey look-alike waited on her at the bar. She tells me that he had tattoos and really nice arms. I immediately said, "Okay, that's my type. What the hell do you think you're doing?" As the conversation continues, she also divulges that she has always loved Tommy Lee. I nearly fell off the couch as I screamed with questioning inflection, "TOMMY LEE!" wherein the whole apartment complex heard me. I know he was cool in the late 80s with Motely Crue, and she is totally the poster child for the 80s, but I had no idea she ever appreciated Tommy Lee's rock-star looks. As if she hadn't already shocked me enough, she confesses that Kidd Rock isn't too shabby either, wherein I recalled that she said he was white trash when I told her that I was smitten with him from the get go. She has assured me that she doesn't go for tattoos. She likes these boys "in spite of their tattoos."

I get the feeling that I never knew her at all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

In your friend's defense, finding a guy (or a gal)without a tattoo is like searching for the grail. I'm afraid I've grown tired of the trend--or is it a fad? When everyone does the same thing in an attempt to be unique, they end up just being common.

It amuses me that I have a tattoo, yet I haven't seen it in probably three months. No, it hasn't run off; it just takes two mirrors and some fancy contorting to see the damned thing.

How 'bout you? Have you been inked?

6:59 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

But as commonplace as getting a tat has become, it's still unique to each person. I guess I just like self-expression and creativity. I think I kind of appreciate the fact that tattoos are more popular because it means that they are more accepted, and perhaps, they could lose their negative stereotype.

To answer your question, no, I'm not inked. But I do want to be someday. I'm still contemplating what I want and where I want it. I have to find just the right thing.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home